Tuesday, May 29, 2007

too much presence

Lately I've been feeling like the internet is way too invasive. I truly enjoy blogging but I feel like all these other sites like myspace, virb and facebook are somehow too much. I feel uncomfortable being too much on the internet.

It comes from facebook I suppose. I realize that I don't particularly want to be in touch with a bunch of people I haven't spoken to in 10 years. If I never got their email addresses back then (was there even email? I don't remember...) than maybe it's best left that way. I hate looking behind me. Nostalgia is never a very positive feeling. An ex-boyfriend once told me that he thought he'd managed to remain so young at heart because he didn't have a very good memory. He forgot things that happened to him (fights with old girlfriends, and any other unpleasant day-to-day stuff that happened) and so never dwelled on anything. It struck me as very wise. Since then, I've always kept in mind that it's best to look forward and not backward. Easier said than done, though, I know.

But I digress. What I wanted to say was that I feel there is way too much "Julie Girard" presence on the internet. So I've deleted my myspace account and was going to delete my virb account when I realised that it's practically impossible. I've searched and searched and can't figure out where I can delete the account. This, to me, is a serious violation of privacy. When you choose to create a profile, you choose to trade in your privacy, but when you decide to delete it, you should still have a choice.

I'm so mad about this. I'm just so outraged that we are left with no choice at all. It's not the virb profile in itself, it's just the fact that I can't erase it, that someone's decided that that is no longer an option.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, it is possible to erase your account. There's no trick with Virb. You were probably too convinced about the opposite so you missed it.

You have to be logged in. Then you go to «account setting», then click on «account info» and there you go: big letters warning you that deleting is very permanent. ;)

Unknown said...

thanks Véro, but i had sent an email to info@virb and they deleted the account for me.

I sent it yesterday and my profile was gone this morning, so I have to concede that they are efficient. I am no longer outraged.