Sunday, February 18, 2007

Loss of control

I got into a car accident on Friday morning. I was driving on the 10, and as most of you know, it's quite a dangerous highway in the winter. I hit a patch of black ice, wind and snow everywhere, and completely lost control of my car. Drove off the road and barrelled over twice in the ditch. I've never been so scared in all my life.

Amazingly, I'm completely okay. Not a scratch, not even any aches. When my car finally stopped moving, I was upside down and I had to be pulled out of the car from the passenger side. Two angels stopped their cars and ran down to mine to see if I was okay. They pryed the passenger door open and got me out into the snow. The woman was wearing a fur coat to her ankles and was standing in 3 feet of snow. She hugged me and I was crying.

Then all the other people came, the transports Québec guy, the ambulance guys, the SQ, the tow truck guy. And the whole time, I couldn't speak without crying. Even when the paramedics took me into the ambulance to take my vital signs and I thought of Grey's Anatomy, I had tears in my eyes as I was making jokes and trying to be charming...(what? They were cute!!).

Needless to say I've been thinking about this event all weekend. It kind of puts things in perspective. Life can be over in a second. Or completely changed in a second. We can't control anything that happens to us, even if we think we can. All we can do is try to do the best we can.

9 comments:

jp said...

Wow Julie, je te demandais à quand la prochaine aventure, tu n'avais pas à vivre un accident pour te surpasser. J'espère que tu te sens bien que tu te remets de cette expérience et que tu n'es pas trop sur les nerfs. Je suis sûr que tu peux compter sur tes amies pour t'aider. Si tu as besoin d'aide, fais signe.

Aud said...

Ma belle Julie... J'espère que tu t'es remise de tes émotions. Ton histoire m'a complètement bouleversée. Quelle chance tu as eu de t'en être sortie indem. Tu as une bonne étoile qui veille sur toi faut croire...

appelsj said...

Tres contente de savoir que tu vas bien... prends soin de toi dans les prochain jours...

Unknown said...

Thank God you're okay :) :) :)

Julie said...

Vous êtes tous tellement gentils. Merci.

Anonymous said...

Fiou!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you're alive and well... A friend of a friend died last year in a car accident on the same road, same icy condition... sad story.

Ça nous apprend à bien profiter de la vie!

erin said...

oh, sweetie. you're lovely. i'm so glad you're ok.

zoombots said...

wow... that's crazy!!! Sure makes you think twice about life. I take that road a couple times a week to go snowboarding, and usually when it's really snowy and icy. I hope I don't hit any black ice...