Thursday, June 14, 2007

buying back your greenhouse gas

So as most of us, I've been increasingly preoccupied with the environment. The most pessimist among us will say that it's too late so why bother, but I can't resign myself to it. I have to do my best to try to save this planet. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an environmentalist and I used to cry when watching the discovery channel (until my parents thought it was enough and forbade me to watch it).

So I recycle, I compost, I try to ride my bike as much as I can, I use a diva cup, I try not to buy bottled water, I use natural cleaning products...etc. But the real problem is greenhouse gas, as we all know. So how to reduce our emissions more efficiently? Well, I found this fantastic website called sustainable travel international. It allows you to buy back your greenhouse gas emissions when you travel. So for example, my plane trip to Ethiopia will produce 5.2581 tons of CO2. I can buy it back though by investing in carbon offset projects that verifiably reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It will cost $80,19 (US). You can calculate and donate through the World Wildlife Fund site.

So is anyone taking a plane this summer? Think about doing this, please. I'm doing it and I think it's worth it when you think what's at stake, no?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salut Julie,
Je me demandais s'il était possible de t'envoyer un message sans qu'il apparaisse "publiquement". Est-ce qu'il y a par exemple une adresse courriel de disponible quelque part ou pas, je n'ai pas réussi à en trouver une sur les pages du blogue que j'ai visitées... Merci !

Julie said...

salut éric,
tu peux m'écrire à mon adresse de courriel: julie327@sympatico.ca
elle ne se trouve pas sur le blogue je crois...mais j'accepte des messages persos!

Anonymous said...

Bien reçu Julie, merci !
Tu devrais donc recevoir un message perso sous peu... ;p