Sunday, January 07, 2007

Resolution # 1

My friend Audrey told me that all women make up fictional scenarios in their heads of some kind of chance meeting with the love of their life. Sometimes, that person is a fictional character or a movie star. There’s no rational thought behind it. It just happens. And it’s not that weird. Audrey had an obsession with Russel Crowe once. I have an obsession with Jack Bauer. Okay, he’s not a real person. He’s just so fantastic.

Yes, I know, it’s completely ridiculous to fantasize about someone who doesn’t exist. That’s why I’ve begun fantasizing about Kiefer Sutherland, the actual person. I just couldn’t resist, we have so much in common. He’s Canadian, he loves a woman who can make him laugh, he’s a hockey fan (though of the Leafs…that might be a problem), he likes to party. Okay, so that’s all I know about him and not even with definite certainty. It’s silly. Yes, it’s silly. But it’s human.

Olivier said that it was worrisome and that I was crazy and possibly deranged. Am I? Isn’t it normal to have a healthy, active imagination? Doesn’t having an imagination add something spicy to “real life”? Not that real life isn’t exciting, it’s just real life. With all its problems, and ups and downs. In a fantasy world, there are no downs.

The reason why this is so appealing is the same reason why reading a novel or watching a movie is appealing to us. Because it allows us to escape reality for just a moment. Lose ourselves in another world that is non-threatening. And in my case, when I get back to reality, I have just a slightly more positive attitude about it. So how can that be deranged?

Nonetheless, my resolution # 1 is to stop fantasizing about Kiefer Sutherland a.k.a Jack Bauer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

non-threatening...

Aud said...

Totally normal to obsess over fictional, as well as not so fictional characters. And yes, I do it... sometimes. Ok I'll admit that I tend to do it a lot nowadays, but that's just because I'm going through a tough time. But your Jack Bauer story, totally healthy, it helps a woman figure out what she is really looking for. If you want him, I say go get him girl ;-)

Julie said...

merci ma belle audrey!!! what a supportive friend you are!

Anonymous said...

Disk 6 of Season 2. After watching that, how could you NOT develop an, um, admiration for Jack Bauer.